Papaya provide tremendous health benefits, due to the nutritional content therein. Papaya has a Latin name Carica papaya and included in the family Caricaceae. The papaya tree is derived from the Mexican and usually planted in yard or garden. Papaya fruit is ripe, have orange or pink color. Has a sweet flavor and contains a lot of water.
Papaya fruit flesh, can be eaten immediately when ripe, can also be cooked while still raw. Ripe fruit flesh is eaten fresh or as a mixture of fruit cocktail. Papaya leaves are also used as vegetables and meat tenderizer. Young papaya leaves eaten as a salad (as withered with hot water) or be used as wrapping kit. Papaya latex (found in stems, leaves, and fruit) contain the enzyme papain, a kind of protease, which can soften the meat and other protein conformational change. Papain has been mass produced and became a commercial commodity.
Papaya has many benefits, because papaya contains vitamin A is good for eye health, papaya also facilitate digestion for people who have difficulty defecating. Papaya sap is also quite expensive because papaya latex papain can be processed into flour which is useful for household and industrial needs. In pengobatang herbal papaya can prevent cancer, constipation, eye health.
Papaya nutrition facts
Papaya fruit is a source of nutrients such as provitamin A carotenoids, vitamin C, folate and dietary fiber. Papaya skin, pulp and seeds also contain a variety of phytochemicals, including lycopene and polyphenols. In preliminary research, danielone, a phytoalexin found in papaya fruit, showed antifungal activity against Colletotrichum gloesporioides, a pathogenic fungus of papaya.
Based on USDA Nutrient data base
|Nutritional value per 100 g (3.5 oz)|
|Energy||179 kJ (43 kcal)|
|- Sugars||7.82 g|
|- Dietary fiber||1.7 g|
|Vitamin A equiv.||47 μg (6%)|
|- beta-carotene||274 μg (3%)|
|- lutein and zeaxanthin||89 μg|
|Thiamine (vit. B1)||0.023 mg (2%)|
|Riboflavin (vit. B2)||0.027 mg (2%)|
|Niacin (vit. B3)||0.357 mg (2%)|
|Pantothenic acid (B5)||0.191 mg (4%)|
|Vitamin B6||0.038 mg (3%)|
|Folate (vit. B9)||38 μg (10%)|
|Vitamin C||62 mg (75%)|
|Vitamin E||0.3 mg (2%)|
|Vitamin K||2.6 μg (2%)|
|Calcium||20 mg (2%)|
|Iron||0.25 mg (2%)|
|Magnesium||21 mg (6%)|
|Manganese||0.04 mg (2%)|
|Phosphorus||10 mg (1%)|
|Potassium||182 mg (4%)|
|Sodium||8 mg (1%)|
|Zinc||0.08 mg (1%)|
7 amazing papaya health benefits
- Overcome digestive disorders: Papaya fruit contains enzymes and fiber papanin role in addressing the problems that occur in the body such as digestive upset stomach, constipation, hemorrhoids overcome and eradicate some of the parasites in the intestine that interfere with the digestion of food.
- Increase endurance: The content of vitamin C, A, and beta-carotene which is quite high in fruit papaya role in improving the immune system and increase the body's resistance to disease such as influenza. Vitamin C is also useful for troubleshooting canker sores in the mouth.
- Protect the body from heart attack and stroke: Anti-oxidants in papaya fruit has an important role in preventing the oxidation of cholesterol and may reduce the risk of heart attacks and strokes in the body.
- Addressing inflammation: Combination of vitamins A, C, beta-carotene, as well as anti-inflammatory properties in papaya fruit is quite effective in addressing the problem of inflammation. It makes papaya fruit good consumed by people with asthma, osteoarthritis, and rheumatoid arthritis.
- Maintaining eye health: Vitamin A in papaya fruit was instrumental in maintaining eye health and protect the eyes from free radical attack negative.
- Helps lose weight: low in calories, as well as water and nutrient complex in papaya fruit. making it excellent for one of your diet menu.
- Acts as a natural detoxification: anti-oxidants, vitamins, and several other nutrients in papaya fruit was instrumental in helping the body to cleanse harmful toxins in the body.