Most people only concentrate on the level of LDL cholesterol, without thinking about how to increase HDL cholesterol levels. HDL is known as good cholesterol because high protein content. HDL is responsible for carrying excess cholesterol carried by LDL back to the liver for processing and lowered cholesterol levels. With so, HDL plays a major role in preventing the attachment of fats and bad cholesterol in the blood vessel walls. Minimal HDL level the body needs is 60mg/dL (deciliter).
HDL (High Density Lipoprotein) is a high-density lipoprotein cholesterol, so it is heavier than other cholesterol. In contrast to LDL which can be attached to the blood vessels and cause plaque, then HDL is not so. Good cholesterol (HDL) may help reduce the risk of heart disease, because of the good cholesterol (HDL) can reduce LDL levels in the blood by bringing LDL to the liver for reprocessing. Additionally HDL also can maintain the condition of the blood vessels to cleanse the inner lining of blood vessel walls so it does not form plaques. The presence of plaque on blood vessel walls can lead to atherosclerosis and causes heart attacks and strokes.
Recommended HDL levels is more than 60mg/dl, whereas HDL levels less than 40 mg / dL is low and is not good for health. Based from many source, you can do several things below to increase HDL cholesterol levels.
5 tips to increase HDL cholesterol
- Aerobic exercises. Light to heavy aerobic exercise can increase HDL from 5% to 10%. Harvard University researchers advised to perform aerobic exercise (brisk walking, running, cycling, swimming, etc.) five times a week, each 30 minutes.
- Lose weight. Did you know that every weight loss of 3 kg will increase HDL levels by 1mg/dL? Especially if you choose to eat only healthy foods, the weight will quickly dropped, HDL cholesterol levels will increase.
- Quitting smoking. If you are a smoker, then stop. Because if you stop smoking the levels of HDL in the blood will increase by 15% to 20%. Of course, quitting smoking is not easy. You can try more than one strategy to quit smoking. Consult with a doctor, the doctor can provide input for your mission to stop smoking reached.
- Choosing good fats and healthy diet. Fat is one thing that you want to get rid of quickly, because fats can increase bad cholesterol. But the body needs fat and keep you still have to consume fat. Good fats that exist in Olive Oil, Canola, and fish oil, and nuts can reproduce the levels of HDL cholesterol in the blood. For a healthy diet, choose a longer decompose complex carbohydrate like brown rice and wheat than white rice or food from the starchy.
- Increase consumption of fiber-rich foods. This fiber-rich foods can be obtained from vegetables and fruit. Existing fiber in our diet will remove excess cholesterol in the stool with it. Avocados contain a lot of fat, but good fat, so it does not need to be avoided.