Chamomile has many health benefits, especially for digestion. Chamomile can be used to treat abdominal pain, inflammation of the intestine, and as a sleeping pill (sedative). Moreover, it can be used to make herbal tea, by adding 2 tablespoons of dried chamomile flowers per cup of tea. To cope with abdominal pain (inflamed), it is recommended to drink a cup of chamomile tea every morning without breakfast for 2 or 3 months.
Chamomile is also used for cleaning the mouth to heal mukositis, a disease of the mucous membranes. The composition of the active substance of chamomile oil extract called bisabolol. Other active substances are chamazulene, flavonoids and coumarin. Anti-inflammatory in chamomile makes it good for rheumatism, arthritis, and other painful swellings. Relieve fever, sore throat, aches and pains due to colds, flu, and allergies.
Chamomile is a flowering plant in the sunflower family. This plant is believed to have originated from Europe and Asia. Chamomile require open land to grow, usually growing wild. Chamomile plants can grow as tall as 15 to 60 cm. The leaves are long and small groups of two or three leaves on one stalk. The flowers are similar to sunflower and mostly white.
Nutrition fact of Chamomile
Chamomile is a source of phytonutrients and minerals, such as flavones, glycosides, bitter glycosides, valeric acid, tannins, salicylic acid, coumarin derivatives, copper, potassium, zinc, iron, phosphorus, magnesium, vitamin C, and vitamin B1..
Chamomile Health Benefits
- Anti-inflammatory. Chamomile is useful for treating inflammation in the body, including respiratory infections, inflammation of the eyes or skin, intestinal inflammation, mouth ulcers, or inflammation of the gums.
- Treatment of insomnia. Chamomile can make us relaxed sleep. Drinking chamomile tea about 30-45 minutes before bed. The aroma can make you relaxed. Until chances are you can sleep soundly. Also can defuse any anxiety you have.
- Relieves stress. Chamomile contains natural stress away, and it will calm your nerves.
- Helps digestive health. Chamomile can be freed from bloating and gas formation and discomfort of irritable bowel syndrome. Use chamomile tea or mixed with peppermint.
- Anti-spasmodic. For gynecological problems such as menstrual cramps, chamomile helps relieve it. If you suffer from vaginitis, spray chamomile tea you need.
- Boost the immune system. The production of white blood cells can be enhanced by consuming chamomile tea, which improves immune system function. When the immune system goes down, you get a cold or flu. Chamomile relieve these symptoms.
- Eye dark circles. Soak chamomile tea bags in warm water, to help get rid of dark circles around the eyes.
- Eases breathing. Breathe in the steam of hot chamomile herbal tea. This will ease breathing during sinusitis or colds.
- Skin problems. The cooled chamomile tea can help a number of skin problems including skin rash, acne, or fungal infection. To soften dry skin, pour some chamomile tea in your bath water.
- Headaches and migraines. When starting signs of migraine or other headaches, immediately drink chamomile tea, it helps ease before getting worse.
- Diabetes. According to one study, symptoms of hyperglycemia and the development of diabetes can be effectively assisted with some chamomile tea.
- Cancer. Several in-vitro studies were conducted to show the effectiveness of the possibility of chamomile in the prevention and treatment of cancer. There are two active ingredients in chamomile can make it so efficacious, that is a natural antioxidant called apigenin, and some essential oils. In the study, apigenin seems to have an important role to inhibit cancer cells. Chamomile extract inhibits the growth of cancer cells that have been tested, including prostate cancer and breast cancer. This fact is due to apigenin acts as an anti-androgen and also not separated from the effects of hormonal regulation.
- Other Benefits. Apart from all these, chamomile has been found to be useful for different conditions, such as Crohn's disease, hemorrhoids, colitis, and asthma.
Chamomile Tea Benefits
- Chamomile is best known to be a muscle relaxant. Drinking chamomile tea soothes muscle aches, spasms, stomach and back aches and also reduces menstrual cramps. It is recommended that for visible benefits, you should drink at least 2 cups of chamomile tea every day.
- Chamomile tea is also beneficial for treating skin problems like burns, allergies, stings, bites, bruises, acne, etc. You would want to cool down the tea and use it in a neat dressing in case of treating a burn; else you can just drink it and enjoy the pleasant feeling.
- Chamomile tea helps to calm and soothe down feelings of anxiety, nervousness and depression since it has mild sedatives. They relax the brain muscles and induce sleep, thus relaxing the person completely.
- German Chamomile tea is often used to treat problems like bloating, nausea, gas, irritable bowel syndrome or stomach pain. It is often known as a plant that strengthens the stomach.
Some people have serious allergic reactions (including anaphylaxis) to chamomile. If you are allergic to other plants in the same family such as daisy, ragweed, aster, chrysanthemum, or marigold you should use caution when using chamomile.
Chamomile should be avoided during pregnancy because it may act as a uterine stimulant and therefore increase the chance of abortion.
People with bleeding disorders or on blood thinners should avoid chamomile, as it contains coumarin and may increase the chance of bleeding.