The meat lovers have long introduced a diet high in protein and low in carbohydrates. Several types of diets such as Atkins, Zone, Protein Power, Sugar Busters and have designed a high-protein diet. Although many of these diets is work, you need to know about the results and risks before undergoing proper diet for you.
Atkins Diet is usually done by limiting the intake of carbohydrates to divert body's metabolism. Normally the body convert glucose into energy, but replaced with a convert stored fat into energy. This diet is said to not only help you lose weight, but also make people so not hungry for low-carbohydrate diets, and eat more protein and fat.
Naturally, the weight will be reduced because of the fat that had been stored will be metabolized by the body into energy source. Some experts said that this diet can provide good health benefits.
Steps in implementing the Atkins diet
1. The person doing the Atkins diet should regulate the amount of food consumed and should avoid or severely limit your intake of sugars, including refined sugar, white rice or white flour.
2. Allowed to eat pure protein foods such as red meat, eggs, different kinds of cheese, fish including shellfish, poultry such as chicken, tuna fish and use olive oil if you want to make a salad.
3. But on the other hand the intake of carbohydrates is very limited, which is about 20 grams per day in the first 2 weeks of dieting. Then the intake of carbohydrates in the form of fiber-rich foods such as green leafy vegetables.
4. From time to time during the transition begin enter to maintain your weight, then increased carbohydrate intake gradually such as eating fruits, vegetables and foods that contain wheat.
Side Effect of Atkins Diet
Some side effects of diet unpleasant could happen in this Atkins diet program.
1. For example, in the process of burning fat, your body produces substances called ketones when your body enters a phase called ketosis which resulted in a smelly breath, feeling tired, weak, dizziness, insomnia, and nausea.
2. Constipation may also appear as a result of avoiding foods that contain fiber such as fruits, vegetables, nuts, pasta, rice, and potatoes.
3. When talking about the long-term effects, health experts worry that the Atkins diet may have a serious impact.
4. In addition to the high consumption of fat, especially saturated fats, which may increase the risk of heart disease,
5. For example, the lack of intake of calcium (found in milk) may increase the risk of osteoporosis, while the lack of nutritional antioxidants (found in fruits and vegetables) may increase the risk for a variety of disorders such as heart disease, cancer, premature aging, and cataracts.
6. Some experts also worry that high protein intake may contribute to kidney and bone weakening.
Advantages of Atkins Diet
- The most positive side is that people can lose weight dramatically in a relatively short time, and this could be something very motivating.
- This diet program also encourages people to reduce the intake of carbohydrates and alcohol. In addition, because this diet program continue to allow you to consume meat, butter, cream, and cheese are high in fat, so many people who loved it, and eventually try it.
Expert Opinion About Atkins Diet
Scientific assessment is still underway to determine whether low-carbohydrate diet can actually burn fat, and experts generally agree that more research is needed to investigate the effects and benefits in the long run.
Atkins diet program contrary to the guidelines for a healthy diet, which recommends to reduce fat and increase servings of fruits, vegetables and high-fiber carbohydrates. Nutrition experts are particularly worried that the diet may increase the risk of heart disease because of the high fat, especially saturated fat.
Experts are also worried the danger of encouraging people to cut fruits and vegetables, given the much evidence showing that fruits and vegetables can protect us from many diseases, including cancer.